Software Tips, Tricks, Gripes and Info
Check out my Free / Open Source software resources page.
You can't have too many ways to edit your files.
The Ultimate programmable editor
Warning: lisp will corrupt your mind. There is no way
Emacs manual at Polaris.net
One of my triumphs over
- GRASP text editor
If you don't know how to use vi (a Unix-based text editor),
don't try. Unless you read this first.
- mutt -- my favourite e-mail client
- Telnet, SSH, etc. A client for 'doze. PuTTY is cool.
- Better Telnet
- It's a GPLed telnet client for Macs
- ... and MacSSH has SSH hacked in
- The GNOME web browser
- A web browser
- The Ximian Connector
- Another combo app, supporting the MS-Exchange protocol
- My favourite multi-medium Instant Message client
- A console-based multi-IM client
- An open-source multi-IM client
- An open-source AIM clone with multi-protocol support
- A 3rd-party AIM client
- Another IM client
- Clients supporting the Jabber protocol
Network server and infrastructure software
- Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control
The Web Information Gateway
- A groupware app that started out as an webmail package
Office and workflow software
- Keynote from Apple
- Replace your crappy presentation app.
- The Jarte Word Processor
- ThinkFree Office
Information access and management software
- Simon Haynes' info reader with a book-like GUI
Software for Palms, etc.
- Tao Group
"Creating a strategic framework of world-class software for
networked digital appliances."
The following are all music programs for the Mac:
These are Linux community projects that can probably be built for any
- Reason (now ported to MacOS X)
How to find useful software
- Shareware Junkies
- Shareware reviewed by Real PeopleTM
- GNUWin II
- Free software for 'doze.
- Tracks over 30,000 MS Windows, Mac and Palm OS applications
Info about file formats, MIME types, software compatibility, etc
list of file formats
- File types and stuff at wotsit.org
- List of file extensions
- New magic numbers for Microsoft document files
Software and service businesses
- Peter Lewis' business
- Craig Richmond's Unix solutions operation
Last modified: Sun Jun 26 21:42:27 WST 2005